As used in this Article, unless the context otherwise requires:
(1) "Authority" means a Regional Public Transportation Authority as defined by subdivision (6) of this section.
(2) "Board of Trustees" means the governing board of the Authority, in which the general legislative powers of the Authority are vested.
(3) "Population" means the number of persons residing in respective areas as defined and enumerated in the most recent decennial federal census.
(4) "Public transportation" means transportation of passengers whether or not for hire by any means of conveyance, including but not limited to a street or elevated railway or guideway, subway, motor vehicle or motor bus, carpool or vanpool, either publicly or privately owned and operated, holding itself out to the general public for the transportation of persons within or working within the territorial jurisdiction of the Authority, excluding charter, tour, or sight-seeing service.
(5) "Public transportation system" means, without limitation, a combination of real and personal property, structures, improvements, buildings, equipment, vehicle parking or other facilities, railroads and railroad rights-of-way whether held in fee simple by quitclaim or easement, and rights-of-way, or any combination thereof, used or useful for the purposes of public transportation. "Public transportation system" however, does not include streets, roads, or highways except those for ingress and egress to vehicle parking.
(6) "Regional Public Transportation Authority," means a body corporate and politic organized in accordance with the provisions of this Article for the purposes, with the powers and subject to the restrictions hereinafter set forth.
(7) "Unit of local government" means any county, city, town or municipality of this State, and any other political subdivision, public corporation, Authority, or district in this State, which is or may be authorized by law to acquire, establish, construct, enlarge, improve, maintain, own, and operate public transportation systems.
(8) "Unit of local government's chief administrative official" means the county manager, city manager, town manager, or other person, by whatever title he shall be known, in whom the responsibility for the unit of local government's administrative duties is vested. (1989, c. 740, s. 1.)
Last modified: March 23, 2014