(a) The purpose of a district created under this Article is to enhance the quality of life in its territorial jurisdiction by promoting the development of natural gas systems to enhance the economic development of the area.
(b) The following definitions apply in this Article:
(1) Board of Trustees. - The governing board of the district in which the general legislative powers of the district are vested.
(2) District. - A regional natural gas district.
(3) Natural gas system. - A gas production, storage, transmission and distribution system, or any part or parts thereof.
(4) Regional natural gas district. - A public body and body politic and corporate of the State of North Carolina organized in accordance with the provisions of this Article exercising public and essential governmental functions to provide for the preservation and promotion of the public welfare for the purposes, with the powers, and subject to the restrictions set forth in this Article.
(5) Unit of local government. - Any county, city, town, or municipality of this State, and any other political subdivision, public corporation, or district in this State, that is or may be authorized by law to acquire, establish, construct, enlarge, improve, maintain, own, or operate natural gas systems.
(6) Unit of local government's chief administrative official. - The county manager, city manager, town manager, or other person, by whatever title known, in whom the responsibility for the unit of local government's administrative duties is vested. (1997-426, s. 2.)
Last modified: March 23, 2014