(a) No person may sign the name of another person to any of the following:
(1) Any petition calling for an election or referendum.
(2) Any petition under G.S. 163-96 for the formulation of a new political party.
(3) Any petition under G.S. 163-107.1 requesting a person to be a candidate.
(4) Any petition under G.S. 163-122 to have the name of an unaffiliated candidate placed on the general election ballot, or under G.S. 163-296 to have the name of an unaffiliated or nonpartisan candidate placed on the regular municipal election ballot.
(5) Any petition under G.S. 163-213.5 to place a name on the ballot under the Presidential Preference Primary Act.
(6) Any petition under G.S. 163-123 to qualify as a write-in candidate.
(b) Any name signed on a petition, in violation of this section, shall be void.
(c) Any person who willfully violates this section is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor. (1977, c. 218, s. 1; 1979, c. 534, s. 1; 1987, c. 565, s. 6; 1993, c. 539, s. 1104; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c); 2003-278, s. 7.)
Last modified: March 23, 2014