(a) A legal expense fund may be used for reasonable expenses actually incurred by the elected officer in relation to a legal action or potential legal action brought by or against the elected officer in that elected officer's official capacity. The elected officer's campaign itself shall not be funded from a legal expense fund.
(b) Upon closing a legal expense account, the treasurer shall distribute the remaining monies in the legal expense fund to any of the following:
(1) The Indigent Persons' Attorney Fee Fund under Article 36 of Chapter 7A of the General Statutes.
(2) The North Carolina State Bar for the provision of civil legal services for indigents.
(3) Payments to an organization described in section 170(c) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (26 U.S.C. 170(c)), provided that the candidate or the candidate's spouse, children, parents, brothers, or sisters are not employed by the organization.
(4) To return all or a portion of a legal expense donation to the donor.
(5) Payment to the Escheat Fund established by Chapter 116B of the General Statutes. (2007-349, s. 1; 2009-534, s. 2(g).)
Last modified: March 23, 2014