On the day of a primary or election, at the time a registered voter offers to vote, any other registered voter of the county may exercise the right of challenge, and when the voter does so may enter the voting enclosure to make the challenge, but the voter shall retire therefrom as soon as the challenge is heard.
On the day of a primary or election, any other registered voter of the county may challenge a person for one or more of the following reasons:
(1) One or more of the reasons listed in G.S. 163-85(c).
(2) That the person has already voted in that primary or election.
(3) Repealed by Session Laws 2009-541, s. 16.1(b), effective August 28, 2009.
(4) If the challenge is made with respect to voting in a partisan primary, that the person is a registered voter of another political party.
(5) Except as provided in G.S. 163-166.13(d) and G.S. 163-166.14, the voter does not present photo identification in accordance with G.S. 163-166.13.
The chief judge, judge, or assistant appointed under G.S. 163-41 or 163-42 may enter challenges under this section against voters in the precinct for which appointed regardless of the place of residence of the chief judge, judge, or assistant.
If a person is challenged under this subsection, and the challenge is sustained under G.S. 163-85(c)(3), the voter may still transfer that voter's registration under G.S. 163-82.15(e) if eligible under that section, and the registration shall not be cancelled under G.S. 163-90.2(a) if the transfer is made. A person who has transferred that voter's registration under G.S. 163-82.15(e) may be challenged at the precinct to which the registration is being transferred. (1915, c. 101, s. 11; 1917, c. 218; C.S., s. 6031; 1921, c. 181, s. 6; 1923, c. 111, s. 14; 1929, c. 164, s. 36; 1953, c. 843; 1955, c. 800; c. 871, s. 7; 1959, c. 616, s. 2; c. 1203, s. 7; 1963, c. 303, s. 1; 1967, c. 775, s. 1; 1985, c. 563, ss. 11.4, 14; 1987, c. 408, s. 7; 1993 (Reg. Sess., 1994), c. 762, s. 26; 1995 (Reg. Sess., 1996), c. 734, s. 4; 2006-262, s. 3(a); 2009-541, s. 16.1(b); 2013-381, ss. 2.9, 20.2.)
Last modified: March 23, 2014