(a) There is hereby established, within the Department of Justice, the Justice Officers' Standards Division hereinafter called "the Division," which shall be organized and staffed in accordance with applicable laws and regulations and within the limits of authorized appropriations.
(b) The Attorney General shall appoint a director for the Division chosen from a list of nominees submitted to him by the Commission who shall be responsible to and serve at the pleasure of the Attorney General and the Commission.
(c) The Division shall administer such programs as are assigned to it by the Commission. Administrative duties and responsibilities shall include, but are not limited to, the following:
(1) Administering any and all programs assigned to the Division by the Commission and reporting any violations of or deviations from the rules and regulations of the Commission as the Commission may require;
(2) Compiling data, developing reports, identifying needs and performing research relevant to improvement of the agencies;
(3) Developing new and revising existing programs for adoption consideration by the Commission;
(4) Monitoring and evaluating programs of the Commission;
(5) Providing technical assistance to agencies of the justice system to aid them in the discharge of program participation and responsibilities;
(6) Disseminating information on Commission programs to concerned agencies or individuals;
(7) Taking such other actions as may be deemed necessary or appropriate to carry out its assigned duties and responsibilities;
(8) The director may divulge any information in the Division's personnel file of a justice officer or applicant for certification to the head of the department employing the officer or considering the applicant for employment when the director deems it necessary and essential to the retention or employment of said officer or applicant. The information may be divulged whether or not such information was contained in a personnel file maintained by a State or by a local government agency. (1983, c. 558, s. 1; 1995, c. 103, s. 6.)
Last modified: March 23, 2014