(a) When a responding tribunal of this State receives a petition or comparable pleading from an initiating tribunal or directly pursuant to G.S. 52C-3-301(c) it shall cause the petition or pleading to be filed and notify the petitioner where and when it was filed.
(b) A responding tribunal of this State, to the extent otherwise authorized by law, may do one or more of the following:
(1) Issue or enforce a support order, modify a child support order, or render a judgment to determine parentage;
(2) Order an obligor to comply with a support order, specifying the amount and the manner of compliance;
(3) Order income withholding;
(4) Determine the amount of any arrears, and specify a method of payment;
(5) Enforce orders by civil or criminal contempt, or both;
(6) Set aside property for satisfaction of the support order;
(7) Place liens and order execution on the obligor's property;
(8) Order an obligor to keep the tribunal informed of the obligor's current residential address, telephone number, employer, address of employment, and telephone number at the place of employment;
(9) Issue an order for arrest for an obligor who has failed after proper notice to appear at a hearing ordered by the tribunal and enter the order for arrest in any local and State computer systems for criminal warrants;
(10) Order the obligor to seek appropriate employment by specified methods;
(11) Award reasonable attorneys' fees and other fees and costs; and
(12) Grant any other available remedy.
(c) A responding tribunal of this State shall include in a support order issued under this Chapter, or in the documents accompanying the order, the calculations on which the support order is based.
(d) A responding tribunal of this State may not condition the payment of a support order issued under this Chapter upon compliance by a party with provisions for visitation.
(e) If a responding tribunal of this State issues an order under this Chapter, the tribunal shall send a copy of the order to the petitioner and the respondent and to the initiating tribunal, if any. (1995, c. 538, s. 7(c); 1997-433, s. 10.5; 1998-17, s. 1.)
Last modified: March 23, 2014