(a) With the approval of the Commissioner, the organizers may file articles of incorporation for the proposed bank with the Secretary of State. The Commissioner shall authorize the organization of the proposed bank if the Commissioner is satisfied that each of the following conditions is met:
(1) The application is complete.
(2) The Commissioner's examination as provided for in G.S. 53C-3-1 indicates that the requirements for the issuance of a charter to the applicant are reasonably probable of satisfaction.
(3) The proposed name of the proposed bank is not likely to mislead the public as to its character or purpose and is not the same as a name already adopted by an existing depository institution or trust institution operating in this State.
(b) If the Commissioner approves the organization of the proposed bank, the Commissioner shall issue a certificate to the Secretary of State. The Secretary of State shall transmit to the Commissioner a certified copy of the filed articles of incorporation of the proposed bank.
(c) Unless and until the Commissioner issues a charter to the proposed bank:
(1) The proposed bank shall not transact any business except such as is incidental and necessary to its organization or the application for a charter or preparation for commencing the business of banking.
(2) All funds paid for shares of the proposed bank shall be placed in escrow under a written escrow with a third-party escrow agent satisfactory to the Commissioner.
(3) All funds for shares placed into escrow, and all dividends or interest on such funds, may be removed from escrow only with the Commissioner's approval except to the extent that such funds are refunded to subscribers or as otherwise required by law.
(d) A proposed bank is subject to the jurisdiction of the Commissioner. (2012-56, s. 4.)
Last modified: March 23, 2014