(a) The provisions of this Article shall be known and may be cited as The North Carolina Shareholder Protection Act.
(b) In this Article:
(1) "Business combination" includes any merger, consolidation, or conversion of a corporation with or into any other corporation or any unincorporated entity, or the sale or lease of all or any substantial part of the corporation's assets to, or any payment, sale or lease to the corporation or any subsidiary thereof in exchange for securities of the corporation of any assets (except assets having an aggregate fair market value of less than five million dollars ($5,000,000)) of any other entity.
(2) "Common stock" means the shares of capital stock of the corporation that were not entitled to preference over any other shares, either in payment of dividends or in dissolution, at the time that the other entity acquired in excess of ten percent (10%) of the voting shares.
(3) "Continuing director" means a person who was a member of the board of directors of the corporation elected by the public shareholders prior to the time that the other entity acquired in excess of ten percent (10%) of the voting shares of the corporation, or a person recommended to succeed a continuing director by a majority of the continuing directors.
(4) "Exchange Act" means the act of Congress known as the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as the same has been or hereafter may be amended from time to time.
(5) "Other consideration to be received" means, for the purposes of G.S. 55-9-03(1) and G.S. 55-9-03(2), the corporation's common stock retained by its existing public shareholders in the event of a business combination with the other entity in which the corporation is the surviving corporation.
(6) "Other entity" includes any domestic or foreign corporation, person or other form of entity and any such entity with which it or its "affiliate" or "associate" has an agreement, arrangement or understanding, directly or indirectly, for the purpose of acquiring, holding, voting or disposing of capital stock of the corporation, or which is its "affiliate" or "associate", as those terms are defined in the General Rules and Regulations under the Exchange Act, together with the successors and assigns of such persons in any transaction or series of transactions not involving a public offering of the corporation's capital stock within the meaning of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended.
(7) "Voting shares" means shares of the corporation's capital stock entitled to vote in the election of directors. (1987, c. 88, s. 1; c. 124, s. 1; 1989, c. 265, s. 1; 1999-369, s. 1.5; 2001-387, s. 16.)
Last modified: March 23, 2014