(a) Criminal History Record Check. - Upon receipt of an application for a license as a bail bondsman or runner, the Commissioner shall conduct a criminal history record check in accordance with G.S. 58-71-51 to determine whether the applicant meets the requirements for a license as provided in this section.
(b) Qualifications. - Every applicant for a license under this Article as a bail bondsman or runner must meet all of the following qualifications:
(1) Be 18 years of age or over.
(1a) Have obtained a high school diploma or its equivalent.
(2) Be a resident of this State.
(3) Repealed by Session Laws 1998-211, s. 23, effective November 1, 1998.
(4) Have knowledge, training, or experience of sufficient duration and extent to provide the competence necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of a licensee.
(5) Have no outstanding bail bond obligations.
(6) Have no current or prior violations of any provision of this Article or of Article 26 of Chapter 15A of the General Statutes or of any similar provision of law of any other state.
(7) Not have been in any manner disqualified under the laws of this State or any other state to engage in the bail bond business.
(8) Hold a valid and current North Carolina drivers license or valid North Carolina identification card issued by the Division of Motor Vehicles.
(c) Proof of Residency. - An applicant for a license as a bail bondsman or runner shall provide to the Commissioner at least two of the documents listed in this subsection as proof of residency in this State. Subject to rules adopted by the Commissioner, an applicant may be required to provide additional documentation. The permissible documents are:
(1) A pay stub showing the applicant's residential address in this State.
(2) A utility bill showing the applicant's residential address in this State.
(3) A written lease agreement or contract for purchase and sale signed by the applicant and for a residence located in this State.
(4) A receipt for personal property taxes paid by the applicant to a North Carolina unit of local government.
(5) A receipt for real property taxes paid by the applicant to a North Carolina unit of local government.
(6) A monthly or quarterly statement showing the applicant's residential address in this State and issued by a financial institution for an account held by the applicant. (1963, c. 1225, s. 11; 1971, c. 1231, s. 1; 1975, c. 619, s. 1; 1987, c. 728, s. 1; 1989, c. 485, s. 39; 1991, c. 720, s. 41; 1995 (Reg. Sess., 1996), c. 726, s. 4; 1998-211, s. 23; 2007-228, ss. 2, 3; 2009-536, ss. 2, 6; 2009-566, s. 12.)
Last modified: March 23, 2014