As used in this Chapter, except as otherwise defined in Article 5 of this Chapter for purposes of that Article, unless the context otherwise requires:
(01) "Act" means the North Carolina Uniform Partnership Act and refers to all provisions therein.
(1) "Bankrupt" means bankrupt under the Federal Bankruptcy Act or insolvent under any State insolvent act.
(2) "Business" means every trade, occupation, or profession.
(3) "Conveyance" means every assignment, lease, mortgage, or encumbrance.
(4) "Court" means every court and judge having jurisdiction in the case.
(4a) "Domestic corporation" has the same meaning as in G.S. 55-1-40.
(4b) "Domestic limited liability company" has the same meaning as the term "LLC" in G.S. 57D-1-03.
(4c) "Domestic limited partnership" has the same meaning as in G.S. 59-102.
(4d) "Domestic nonprofit corporation" means a corporation as defined in G.S. 55A-1-40.
(4e) "Foreign corporation" has the same meaning as in G.S. 55-1-40.
(4f) "Foreign limited liability company" has the same meaning as the term "foreign LLC" in G.S. 57D-1-03.
(4g) "Foreign limited liability partnership" means a partnership that (i) is formed under laws other than the laws of this State, and has the status of a limited liability partnership or registered limited liability partnership under those laws.
(4h) "Foreign limited partnership" has the same meaning as in G.S. 59-102.
(4i) "Foreign nonprofit corporation" means a foreign corporation as defined in G.S. 55A-1- 40.
(5) "Person" means individuals, partnerships, corporations, limited liability companies, and other associations.
(5a) "Principal office" means the office (in or out of this State) where the principal executive offices of a registered limited liability partnership or a foreign limited liability partnership are located, as designated in its most recent annual report filed with the Secretary of State or, if no annual report has yet been filed, in its application for registration as a registered limited liability partnership or foreign limited liability partnership.
(6) "Real property" means land and any interest or estate in land.
(7) "Registered limited liability partnership" means a partnership that is registered under G.S. 59-84.2 and complies with G.S. 59-84.3. (1941, c. 374, s. 2; 1993, c. 354, s. 3; 1999-362, s. 4; 2000-140, s. 101(k); 2001-387, s. 103; 2013-157, s. 15.)
Last modified: March 23, 2014