As used in this Article, unless the context clearly requires otherwise:
(1) "Contract cost" means the total consideration paid by a buyer pursuant to a contract including but not limited to:
a. Any initiation or nonrecurring fee charged;
b. All periodic fees required by the contract;
c. All dues or maintenance fees; and
d. All finance charges, time-price differentials, interest, and other similar fees and charges.
(2) "Contract duration" means the total period of use allowed by a buyer's contract, including months or time periods that are called "free" or "bonus" or that are described in any other terms suggesting that they are provided free of charge.
(3) "Prepaid entertainment contract" means any contract in which:
a. The buyer of a service pays for or is obligated to pay for service prior to the buyer's receipt of or enjoyment of any or all of the services;
b. The seller is other than a licensed nonprofit school, college, or university; the State or any subdivision thereof; or a nonprofit religious, ethnic, or community organization; and
c. The services to be performed are related to any one of the following:
1. Dance lessons or facilities, or any related services or events;
2. Matching, dating, or social club services or facilities, including any service represented as providing names of, introduction to, or opportunity to meet members of the opposite sex;
3. Martial arts training;
4. Health or athletic club services or facilities. (1979, c. 833, s. 1; 1991 (Reg. Sess., 1992), c. 1009, s. 1.)
Last modified: March 23, 2014