(a) There is hereby created and established a special fund to be known as the "Alarm Systems Education Fund" (hereinafter Fund) which shall be set aside and maintained in the office of the State Treasurer. The Fund shall be used in the manner provided in this Article for the education of licensees and registrants.
(b) Repealed by Session Laws 2009-557, s. 10, effective October 1, 2009, and applicable to licenses or registrations issued or renewed on or after that date.
(c) In addition to the fees provided for elsewhere in this Chapter, the Board shall charge the following fees which shall be deposited into the Fund:
(1) On July 1, 1985, the Board shall charge every licensee on that date a fee of fifty dollars ($50.00);
(2) The Board shall charge each new applicant for a license fifty dollars ($50.00), provided that for purposes of this Article a new applicant is hereby defined as an applicant who did not possess a license on July 1, 1985; and
(3) The Board is authorized to charge each licensee an additional amount, not to exceed fifty dollars ($50.00), on July 1 of any year in which the balance of the Fund is less than twenty-five thousand dollars ($25,000).
(d) The State Treasurer shall invest and reinvest the moneys in the Fund in a manner provided by law. The Board in its discretion, may use the Fund for any of the following purposes:
(1) To advance education and research in the alarm systems field for the benefit of those licensed under the provisions of this Chapter and for the improvement of the industry,
(2) To underwrite educational seminars, training centers and other educational projects for the use and benefit generally of licensees, and
(3) To sponsor, contract for and to underwrite any and all additional educational training and research projects of a similar nature having to do with the advancement of the alarm systems field in North Carolina. (1985, c. 561, s. 7; 2009-557, s. 10.)
Last modified: March 23, 2014