(a) Notwithstanding G.S. 7B-3000, the juvenile court counselor shall deliver verbal and written notification of the following actions to the principal of the school that the juvenile attends:
(1) A petition is filed under G.S. 7B-1802 that alleges delinquency for an offense that would be a felony if committed by an adult;
(2) The court transfers jurisdiction over a juvenile to superior court under G.S. 7B-2200;
(3) The court dismisses under G.S. 7B-2411 the petition that alleges delinquency for an offense that would be a felony if committed by an adult;
(4) The court issues a dispositional order under Article 25 of Chapter 7B of the General Statutes including, but not limited to, an order of probation that requires school attendance, concerning a juvenile alleged or found delinquent for an offense that would be a felony if committed by an adult; or
(5) The court modifies or vacates any order or disposition under G.S. 7B-2600 concerning a juvenile alleged or found delinquent for an offense that would be a felony if committed by an adult.
Notification of the school principal in person or by telephone shall be made before the beginning of the next school day. Delivery shall be made as soon as practicable but at least within five days of the action. Delivery shall be made in person or by certified mail. Notification that a petition has been filed shall describe the nature of the offense. Notification of a dispositional order, a modified or vacated order, or a transfer to superior court shall describe the court's action and any applicable disposition requirements. As used in this subsection, the term "offense" shall not include any offense under Chapter 20 of the General Statutes.
(b) If the principal of the school the juvenile attends returns any notification as required by G.S. 115C-404, and if the juvenile court counselor learns that the juvenile is transferring to another school, the juvenile court counselor shall deliver the notification to the principal of the school to which the juvenile is transferring. Delivery shall be made as soon as practicable and shall be made in person or by certified mail.
(c) Principals shall handle any notification delivered under this section in accordance with G.S. 115C-404.
(d) For the purpose of this section, "school" means any public or private school in the State that is authorized under Chapter 115C of the General Statutes. (1997-443, s. 8.29(e); 1998-202, s. 6.)
Last modified: March 23, 2014