When necessary for the enforcement of this Chapter or regulations promulgated pursuant thereto the Commissioner or his authorized agent is:
(1) Authorized to enter any commercial premises during normal business hours, except that in the event such premises are not open to the public, he shall first present his credentials and obtain consent before making entry thereto, unless a search warrant has previously been obtained.
(2) Empowered to issue stop-use, hold, and removal orders with respect to any weights and measures commercially used, and stop-sale, hold, and removal orders with respect to any packaged commodities or bulk commodities kept, offered, or exposed for sale.
(3) Empowered to seize, for use as evidence, without warrant or other legal writ, any incorrect or unapproved weight, measure, package, or commodity found to be used, retained, offered, or exposed for sale or sold in violation of the provisions of this Chapter or regulations promulgated pursuant thereto.
(4) Empowered to stop any commercial vehicle wherever found in the State and, after presentment of his credentials, inspect the contents, require that the person in charge of that vehicle produce any documents in his possession concerning the contents, and require him to proceed with the vehicle to some specified place for inspection.
(5) Authorized to arrest, without warrant, any violator of this Chapter. Such authorized agent shall proceed forthwith with such person before a magistrate or other person authorized to issue arrest warrants. (1927, c. 261, ss. 11-13; 1975, c. 544.)
Last modified: March 23, 2014