Any person who violates any provision of this section or any provision of this Chapter or regulations promulgated pursuant thereto for which a specific penalty has not been prescribed shall be guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor upon a first conviction. Upon a subsequent conviction thereof, said person shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. No person shall:
(1) Use or have in possession for use in commerce any incorrect weight or measure.
(2) Remove any tag, seal, or mark from any weight or measure without specific written authorization from the Commissioner or his authorized agent.
(3) Hinder or obstruct any weights-and-measures official in the performance of his duties.
(4) Impersonate in any way any employee of the North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services designated by the Commissioner to enforce any part of this Chapter.
(5) Use in retail trade, except in the preparation of packages put up in advance of sale, a weighing or measuring device which is not so positioned so that its indications may be accurately read and the weighing or measuring operation observed from some position which may be reasonably assumed by a customer.
(6) Manufacture, use or possess a counterfeit seal, tag, mark, certificate, label or decal representing, imitating or copying the same issued by the Commissioner under this Chapter. (1927, c. 261, ss. 14, 15, 19; 1945, c. 280, s. 1; 1949, c. 984; 1975, c. 544; 1981, c. 607, s. 1; 1993, c. 539, s. 593; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c); 1997-261, s. 8.)
Last modified: March 23, 2014