(a) This Chapter shall apply to all auctions held in this State except the following:
(1) Sales at auction conducted by the owner of all of the goods or real estate being offered, or an attorney representing the owner, unless the owner's regular course of business includes engaging in the sale of goods or real estate by means of auction or unless the owner originally acquired the goods for the purposes of resale at auction;
(2) Sales at auction conducted by or under the direction of any public authority;
(3) Sales conducted by a receiver, trustee, guardian, administrator or executor or any similarly appointed person under order of any court or any person conducting a sale pursuant to an order of a United States Bankruptcy Court or the agent or attorney of such person, receiver, trustee, guardian, administrator or executor;
(4) Any sale required by law to be at auction;
(5) Sale of livestock at a public livestock market authorized and regulated by the Commissioner of Agriculture;
(6) Leaf tobacco sales conducted in accordance with the provisions of Chapter 106 of the General Statutes;
(7) Sale at auction of automobiles conducted under the provisions of G.S. 20-77, or sale at auction of motor vehicles by a motor vehicle dealer licensed under Article 12, Chapter 20 of the General Statutes;
(8) Sale at auction of a particular breed of livestock conducted by an auctioneer who specializes in the sale of that breed when such sale is conducted under the auspices of a livestock trade association; provided that the sale is regulated by the Packers and Stockyards Act and the auctioneer is required to be bonded by the United States Department of Agriculture;
(9) Sales conducted by and on behalf of any charitable or religious organization;
(9a) Sales conducted by and on behalf of a civic club, not exceeding one sale per year;
(10) Sales conducted by a trustee pursuant to a power of sale contained in a deed of trust on real property;
(11) Sales of collateral, sales conducted to enforce carriers' or warehousemen's liens, sales of goods by a presenting bank following dishonor of a documentary draft, resales of rightfully rejected goods, resales of goods by an aggrieved seller, or other resales conducted pursuant to authority in Articles 2, 4, 7, and 9 of Chapter 25 of the General Statutes (the Uniform Commercial Code).
(b) The exceptions provided in subdivisions (2), (4), (9), (9a) and (11) of subsection (a) of this section shall not apply to any person or entity engaged in the business of organizing, arranging, or conducting auction sales for compensation or any person who or entity that accepts consignments to be sold at auction where the consignor receives any proceeds from the sale.
(c) The exceptions provided in subdivision (7) of subsection (a) of this section shall not apply to any auctioneer licensed pursuant to this Chapter employed to be an auctioneer of motor vehicles for a licensed motor vehicle dealer, while conducting an auction for that dealer. (1973, c. 552, s. 2; 1977, c. 1115; 1983, c. 751, ss. 2, 3; 1991 (Reg. Sess., 1992), c. 819, s. 2; 2004-190, s. 5; 2005-330, ss. 2, 3.)
Last modified: March 23, 2014