(a) Issuance. - An applicant, upon satisfactorily meeting the appropriate requirements, shall be certified to perform in the capacity of a well contractor and shall be issued a suitable certificate by the Commission designating the level of the person's competency. A certificate shall be valid for one year or until any of the following occurs:
(1) The certificate holder voluntarily surrenders the certificate to the Commission.
(2) The certificate is revoked or suspended by the Commission for cause.
(b) Renewal. - A certificate shall be renewed annually by payment of the annual fee and proof that the applicant has completed any professional development hours as may be required by the rules of the Commission. A person who fails to renew a certificate within 30 days of the expiration of the certificate must reapply for certification under this Article.
(c) Temporary Certification. - A person may receive temporary certification to construct a well upon submission of an application to the Commission and subsequent approval in accordance with the criteria established by the Commission and upon payment of a temporary certification fee. A temporary certification shall be granted to the same person only once per calendar year and may not be valid for a period in excess of 45 consecutive days. To perform additional well contractor activity during that same calendar year, the person shall apply for certification under this Article.
(d) Refusal to Issue a Certificate. - The Commission shall not issue a certificate under any of the following circumstances:
(1) The applicant has not paid civil penalties assessed against the applicant under G.S. 87-94 for a violation of this Article, Article 7 of this Chapter, or any rule adopted to implement either of those Articles.
(2) The applicant has not conducted all restoration activities ordered by the Department related to a violation by the applicant of Article 7 of this Chapter.
(3) As determined by the Commission, the applicant has a history of not complying with this Article, Article 7 of this Chapter, or any rule adopted to implement either of those Articles. (1997-358, s. 2; 2001-440, s. 1.2; 2007-495, s. 2.)
Last modified: March 23, 2014