In addition to all other powers and duties conferred and imposed upon the Commissioner by this Article, the Commissioner shall have and exercise the following powers and duties:
(1) To adopt, modify, or revoke the rules necessary for carrying out the provisions of this Article, including those governing the design, construction, installation, operation, use, and maintenance of devices subject to the provisions of this Article. The rules adopted under this section shall conform as nearly as possible to the standards contained in the B77.1 - American National Standards Safety Requirements for Aerial Passenger Tramways and with good engineering and safety standards, formulas, and practices.
(1a) To enforce the rules adopted under this Article.
(1b) To grant exceptions from the requirements of the rules adopted under this Article and to permit the use of other devices when the exceptions and uses will not expose the public to an unsafe condition likely to result in serious personal injury or damage to property.
(2) To hold hearings and take evidence in all matters relating to the exercise and performance of the powers and duties vested in the Commissioner, subpoena witnesses, administer oaths, and compel the testimony of witnesses and the production of books, papers and records relevant to any inquiry.
(3) To approve, deny, revoke, and renew the registration certificates in accordance with the rules adopted pursuant to this Article.
(4) To institute civil actions for injunctive or other relief against violators of this Article.
(5) To cause the seal of the Commissioner of Labor to be affixed to all registrations issued by the Commissioner, and to employ, within the funds available to the Commissioner, and prescribe the duties of the personnel as the Commissioner may deem necessary in the administration of this Article.
(6) To have reasonable access, with or without notice, to the devices subject to the provisions of this Article during reasonable hours, for the purposes of inspections and testing.
(7) To investigate accidents involving devices subject to the provisions of this Article to determine the cause of the accident. The Commissioner shall have full subpoena powers in conducting the investigations.
(8) To coordinate enforcement and inspection activity relative to equipment, devices, and operations covered by this Article in order to minimize duplication of liability or regulatory responsibility on the part of the operator, owner, or employer.
(9) To establish fees not to exceed one hundred thirty-seven dollars ($137.00) for the inspection and issuance of registration certificates for devices that are in use and subject to this Article. (1969, c. 1021; 2005-347, s. 4.)
Last modified: March 23, 2014