(A) As used in this section:
(1) "Nuisance wild animal" means a wild animal that interferes with the use or enjoyment of property, is causing a threat to public safety, or may cause damage or harm to a structure, property, or person.
(2) "Commercial nuisance wild animal control operator" means an individual or business that provides nuisance wild animal removal or control services for hire to the owner, the operator, or the owner's or operator's authorized agent of property or a structure.
(1) No person shall provide nuisance wild animal removal or control services for hire without obtaining a license under this section from the chief of the division of wildlife.
(2) An applicant shall pay a license fee of forty dollars for the license. The license shall be renewed annually prior to the first day of March and shall expire on the last day of February. All money collected under this division shall be deposited in the state treasury to the credit of the wildlife fund created in section 1531.17 of the Revised Code.
(3) An individual who is providing nuisance wild animal removal or control services for hire under a license issued under this section is exempt from obtaining a hunting license under section 1533.10 of the Revised Code, a fur taker permit under section 1533.111 of the Revised Code, or a fishing license under section 1533.32 of the Revised Code for the purposes of performing those services.
(4) An individual who is employed by the state, a county, or a municipal corporation and who performs nuisance wild animal removal or control services on land that is owned by the state, county, or municipal corporation, as applicable, as part of the individual's employment is exempt from obtaining a license under this section.
(1) Unless otherwise specified by division rule, a commercial nuisance wild animal control operator and any individual who is employed by an operator that is engaged in activities that are part of or related to the removal or control of nuisance wild animals, including setting or maintaining traps, shall obtain a certification of completion of a course of instruction that complies with rules adopted under division (F) of this section. A certification shall be renewed every three years.
(2) An individual who provides nuisance wild animal removal or control services under a license issued under this section shall comply with division (C)(1) of this section.
(D) An operator that holds a license issued under this section is responsible for the acts of each of the operator's employees in the removal or control of a nuisance wild animal.
(E) If an individual who is licensed under this section uses a pesticide in the removal or control of a nuisance wild animal, the individual shall obtain the appropriate license under Chapter 921. of the Revised Code.
(F) The chief shall adopt rules under section 1531.10 of the Revised Code establishing all of the following:
(1) Appropriate methods for trapping, capturing, removing, relocating, and controlling nuisance wild animals by operators licensed under this section;
(2) Procedures for issuing, denying, suspending, and revoking a license under this section;
(3) Requirements governing the certification course required by division (C)(1) of this section. The rules shall specify the minimum contents of such a course, including public safety and health, animal life history, the use of nuisance wild animal removal and control devices, and the laws and rules governing those activities. The rules also shall specify who may conduct such a course. The rules shall require that, in order for an operator to receive a certification of completion, the operator shall pass an examination.
(4) Any other requirements and procedures necessary to administer and enforce this section.
Rules shall be adopted under division (F) of this section only with the approval of the director of natural resources.
(G) In accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code and with rules adopted under this section, the chief may suspend or revoke a license issued under this section if the chief finds that the holder of the license is violating or has violated this chapter, Chapter 1533. of the Revised Code, or rules adopted under those chapters.
Added by 129th General AssemblyFile No.191, HB 420, §1, eff. 3/27/2013.Section: Previous 1531.24 1531.25 1531.26 1531.27 1531.28 1531.29 1531.30 1531.31 1531.32 1531.33 1531.34 1531.35 1531.40 1531.99 Next
Last modified: October 10, 2016