(A) The department of health shall establish a system by which an adopted person or lineal descendant of an adopted person may request that the department mail to the adopted person's biological parent a question that the adopted person or lineal descendant has about the biological parent's medical history if both of the following apply:
(1) The adopted person or lineal descendant received a copy of the contents of the adopted person's adoption file under section 3107.38 of the Revised Code with the biological parent's name redacted.
(2) The adopted person's adoption file continues to contain a biological parent's name redaction request form for the biological parent at the time the adopted person or lineal descendant makes the request to the department.
(B) The department shall mail to a biological parent a question it receives from an adopted person or lineal descendant of an adopted person under division (A) of this section if all of the following apply:
(1) The adopted person or lineal descendant provides the department information needed for the department to find the adopted person's adoption file.
(2) The department has the biological parent's mailing address.
(3) The adopted person or lineal descendant complies with all of the department's requirements for accepting the question.
(C) A biological parent who receives a question under division (B) of this section may provide an answer to the department. If the department receives the biological parent's answer, it shall forward the answer to the adopted person or lineal descendant who asked the question.
Added by 130th General Assembly File No. 56, SB 23, §1, eff. 3/20/2015.Section: Previous 3107.19 3107.38 3107.381 3107.39 3107.391 3107.392 3107.393 3107.394 3107.40 3107.41 3107.42 3107.43 3107.44 3107.45 3107.46 Next
Last modified: October 10, 2016