(A) The Ohio public health advisory board shall review and make recommendations to the director of health on all of the following:
(1) Developing and adopting proposed rules under Chapters 3701 and 3717 of the Administrative Code;
(2) Prescribing proposed fees for services provided by the office of vital statistics and the bureau of environmental health;
(3) Any proposed policy changes that pertain to entities serving or seeking to serve as vendors under the WIC program, as defined in section 3701.132 of the Revised Code, that are not addressed pursuant to division (A)(1) of this section.
(4) Issues to improve public health and increase awareness of public health issues at the state level, local level, or both;
(5) Any other public health issues that the director requests the board to consider.
(B) For purposes of division (A)(1) of this section, all of the following apply:
(1) Prior to filing a proposed rule with the joint committee on agency rule review, the department of health shall provide each board member with a copy of the proposed rule, copies of public comments received by the department during the public comment period, and written evidence of stakeholder involvement.
(2) Prior to board meetings, copies of proposed rules shall be provided to members. On request of a member, the department shall ensure that appropriate department employees attend board meetings to answer questions concerning proposed rules.
(a) Not later than sixty days after receiving a copy of a proposed rule, the board shall recommend approval or disapproval of the rule and submit its recommendation by board action to the director. In making its recommendation, the board may consider public comments provided to the department or the board.
(b) If the board fails to make a recommendation within sixty days of receiving a copy of the proposed rule, the director may file the proposed rule.
(4) Except as provided in division (B)(3)(b) of this section, the director shall consider the board's recommendation before filing a proposed rule. On request of the board, the director shall meet with the board to discuss the board's recommendation.
(5) If the director disagrees with the board's recommendation, the director shall inform the board in writing of the director's decision and the reason for the decision prior to the next quarterly meeting. The director or the director's designee may meet with the board at the next quarterly meeting to answer questions regarding why the director disagreed with the board's recommendation.
(6) To the extent the board believes that a proposed rule does not comply with requirements established by the joint committee on agency rule review or the common sense initiative office, nothing in this section prohibits the board, in carrying out its duties under division (A)(1) of this section, from contacting the joint committee on agency rule review or the common sense initiative office.
(C) For purposes of division (A)(2) of this section , the board and the department shall develop a cost methodology, subject to approval by the director, regarding proposed fees for services provided by the department's bureau of environmental health.
(D) For purposes of division (A)(3) of this section, a proposed WIC program policy change shall be treated as if it were a proposed rule subject to division (A)(1) of this section and the board and other entities involved in reviewing and making recommendations regarding the change may follow all or part of the procedures described in division (B) of this section.
(E) This section does not apply to the following:
(1) A proposed rule that is to be refiled with the joint committee on agency rule review solely because of technical or other nonsubstantive revisions;
(2) [Effective until 9/17/2014] The emergency adoption, amendment, or rescission of a rule under division (F) of section 119.03 of the Revised Code.
(2) [Effective 9/17/2014] The emergency adoption, amendment, or rescission of a rule under division (G) of section 119.03 of the Revised Code.
Amended by 130th General Assembly File No. TBD, SB 3, §1, eff. 9/17/2014.
Amended by 130th General Assembly File No. TBD, HB 483, §101.01, eff. 9/15/2014.
Added by 129th General AssemblyFile No.127, HB 487, §101.01, eff. 9/10/2012.Section: Previous 3701.27 3701.28 3701.29 3701.30 3701.31 3701.32 3701.33 3701.34 3701.341 3701.342 3701.343 3701.344 3701.344-2 3701.345 3701.346 Next
Last modified: October 10, 2016