(1) Each hospital and each freestanding birthing center shall do all of the following:
(a) Conduct a hearing screening on each newborn or infant born in the hospital or center unless the newborn or infant is transferred to another hospital;
(b) Promptly notify the newborn's or infant's attending physician of the screening results;
(c) Notify the department of health of the screening results for each newborn or infant screened.
(2) A hearing screening conducted under this section shall be conducted under the direction of an audiologist or physician or in collaboration with a physician. Notwithstanding the licensure requirements of Chapter 4753. of the Revised Code, a screening may be conducted by a person who is not licensed under that chapter.
(3) Each hospital and freestanding birthing center shall take the actions required by divisions (A)(1) and (2) of this section in accordance with the rules adopted under section 3701.508 of the Revised Code. A hospital or freestanding birthing center may commence taking these actions at any time after the effective date of the rules but not later than June 30, 2004, unless an extension is granted. The director may grant an extension to delay for up to one year after June 30, 2004, the requirement of compliance with the rules if the hospital or freestanding birthing center requesting the extension demonstrates justifiable cause for the extension. Justifiable cause may include having ordered but not yet received hearing screening equipment, ongoing efforts to obtain financing for the equipment, or any other cause accepted by the director.
(B) Any hospital or freestanding birthing center providing a hearing screening in accordance with division (A) of this section shall be reimbursed by the department of health at a rate determined by the director of health, if both of the following are the case:
(1) The screening is performed before the newborn or infant is discharged from the hospital or freestanding birthing center.
(2) The parent, guardian, or custodian is financially unable to pay for the hearing screening and the hospital or freestanding birthing center is not reimbursed by a third-party payer as determined pursuant to rules adopted under section 3701.508 of the Revised Code.
(C) A hospital, clinic, or other health care facility at which a hearing evaluation is performed on a newborn or infant shall report the results of the evaluation to the attending physician of the newborn or infant.
Effective Date: 08-01-2002Section: Previous 3701.48 3701.49 3701.50 3701.501 3701.502 3701.503 3701.504 3701.505 3701.506 3701.507 3701.508 3701.509 3701.5010 3701.51 3701.511 Next
Last modified: October 10, 2016