As used in this section and sections 3901.381 to 3901.3814 of the Revised Code:
(A) "Beneficiary" means any policyholder, subscriber, member, employee, or other person who is eligible for benefits under a benefits contract.
(B) "Benefits contract" means a sickness and accident insurance policy providing hospital, surgical, or medical expense coverage, or a health insuring corporation contract or other policy or agreement under which a third-party payer agrees to reimburse for covered health care or dental services rendered to beneficiaries, up to the limits and exclusions contained in the benefits contract.
(C) "Hospital" has the same meaning as in section 3727.01 of the Revised Code.
(D) "Provider" means a hospital, nursing home, physician, podiatrist, dentist, pharmacist, chiropractor, or other health care provider entitled to reimbursement by a third-party payer for services rendered to a beneficiary under a benefits contract.
(E) "Reimburse" means indemnify, make payment, or otherwise accept responsibility for payment for health care services rendered to a beneficiary, or arrange for the provision of health care services to a beneficiary.
(F) "Third-party payer" means any of the following:
(1) An insurance company;
(2) A health insuring corporation;
(3) A labor organization;
(4) An employer;
(5) An intermediary organization, as defined in section 1751.01 of the Revised Code, that is not a health delivery network contracting solely with self-insured employers;
(6) An administrator subject to sections 3959.01 to 3959.16 of the Revised Code;
(7) A health delivery network, as defined in section 1751.01 of the Revised Code;
(8) Any other person that is obligated pursuant to a benefits contract to reimburse for covered health care services rendered to beneficiaries under such contract.
Effective Date: 07-24-2002Section: Previous 3901.372 3901.373 3901.374 3901.375 3901.376 3901.377 3901.378 3901.38 3901.381 3901.382 3901.383 3901.384 3901.385 3901.386 3901.387 Next
Last modified: October 10, 2016