(A) As used in this section:
(1) "General market area" means the contiguous geographical area established by a motor vehicle show sponsor that is based upon the size of the show and that does not unreasonably exclude any licensed new motor vehicle dealer.
(2) "Gross vehicle weight" means the unladen weight of a motor vehicle fully equipped.
(3) "Livestock trailer" means a new or used trailer designed by its manufacturer to be used to transport horses or to transport animals generally used for food or in the production of food, including cattle, sheep, goats, rabbits, poultry, swine, and any other animals included by the director of agriculture in rules adopted under section 901.72 of the Revised Code.
(4) "Major livestock show" means any show of livestock that is held at the Ohio state fairgrounds, is national in scope, and that continues for more than ten consecutive days.
(5) "Motor vehicle show" means a display of new motor vehicles that lasts not more than ten days by more than one new motor vehicle dealer dealing in competitive types of motor vehicles and that is authorized by the registrar of motor vehicles primarily to allow the general public an opportunity to compare and inspect a variety of makes and models simultaneously, test drive vehicles, and gain an understanding of new technology and available features.
(6) "Truck" has the same meaning as in section 4511.01 of the Revised Code.
(B) Any group of licensed new motor vehicle dealers may display motor vehicles at a motor vehicle show within the general market area
assigned by the sponsor if, not less than thirty days before the planned opening date of the motor vehicle show, the sponsor executes and files with the registrar an affidavit, in a form prescribed by the registrar, that certifies that all requirements of this section have been or will be met, as applicable.
If the registrar approves the affidavit, the registrar shall grant the sponsor permission to conduct the motor vehicle show. If the registrar determines that there is a deficiency in the affidavit, the registrar shall inform the sponsor of the deficiency as soon possible after the registrar receives the affidavit so that the sponsor has the opportunity to remedy the deficiency. The registrar also shall describe with specificity the measures the sponsor is required to take in order to cure the deficiency. The sponsor shall return the corrected affidavit to the registrar not later than before the planned opening date of the motor vehicle show in order for the sponsor to be eligible to hold the show. If the registrar finds that the deficiency has been cured in the corrected affidavit, the registrar shall grant the sponsor permission to conduct the motor vehicle show. If the registrar finds that the deficiency has not been cured, the registrar shall deny the sponsor permission to conduct the motor vehicle show.
(C) No contracts shall be signed, deposits taken, or sales consummated at the location of a motor vehicle show.
(D) Any sponsor of a motor vehicle show or the sponsor'srepresentative shall offer by mail an invitation to all new motor vehicle dealers dealing in competitive types of motor vehicles in the general market area to participate and display motor vehicles in the show. The sponsor or representative may offer a similar invitation to manufacturers or distributors. A copy of each invitation shall be retained by the sponsor for one year after the show.
(E) A manufacturer or distributor may hold in any public place a motor vehicle show at which only one motor vehicle is displayed, but no such single unit show shall be held unless the manufacturer or distributor executes and files with the registrar not less than thirty days before the show an affidavit, in a form prescribed by the registrar, that certifies that all requirements of this section have been or will be met, as applicable, and subsequently receives approval of that affidavit from the registrar.
(F) The registrar shall not grant permission for any motor vehicle show to be held, unless it is proven to the registrar's satisfaction that no attempt is being made to circumvent the provisions of sections 4517.01 to 4517.45 of the Revised Code.
(G) Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as prohibiting the taking of orders for nonmotorized recreational vehicles as defined in section 4501.01 of the Revised Code at sports or camping shows.
(H) No motor vehicle dealer, motor vehicle leasing dealer, motor vehicle auction owner, or distributor licensed under sections 4517.01 to 4517.45 of the Revised Code shall display a motor vehicle at any place except the dealer's, owner's, or distributor's licensed location, unless the dealer, owner, or distributor first obtains permission from the registrar and complies with the applicable rules of the motor vehicle dealers board or the display is authorized pursuant to section 4517.221 of the Revised Code.
(I) Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as prohibiting the display of, the taking of orders for, or the sale of, livestock trailers at livestock and agricultural shows, including county fairs. Notwithstanding section 4517.03 of the Revised Code, livestock trailers may be sold at livestock and agricultural shows, including county fairs, as permitted by this division.
(J) Notwithstanding any provision of this section to the contrary, for a period not to exceed thirty days, contracts may be signed, deposits taken, and sales consummated at the location of a motor vehicle show where the motor vehicles involved are horse trailers or towing vehicles that are trucks and have a gross vehicle weight of more than three-quarters of a ton, the motor vehicle show is being held as part of or in connection with a major livestock show, the licensed new motor vehicle dealers involved have complied with the applicable requirements of this section, and the registrar has granted permission for the motor vehicle show in accordance with division (F) of this section.
(1) Notwithstanding division (H) of this section, if, pursuant to division (B) of this section, the registrar has granted a show representative permission to hold a motor vehicle show at the annual fair of a county or independent agricultural society and if the society files a certification under division (K)(2) of this section, a new motor vehicle dealer may display motor vehicles at that annual fair even if no other new motor vehicle dealer displays competitive makes and models at the fair.
(2) To obtain a waiver under division (K)(1) of this section, a county or independent agricultural society shall certify all of the following:
(a) That an invitation was sent to all new motor vehicle dealers within the county where the fair is held;
(b) That the terms of the invitation were reasonable and nondiscriminatory;
(c) That only one new motor vehicle dealer accepted the invitation.
(L) (1) Until six months after the effective date of this amendment, whoever violates this section or section 4517.221 of the Revised Code is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree.
(2) The board shall adopt rules establishing the amount of a penalty for a violation of this section or section 4517.221 of the Revised Code, which shall not exceed one thousand dollars for each violation.
(3) Beginning six months after the effective date of this amendment, after finding, pursuant to adjudication conducted in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code, that a person has violated this section or section 4517.221 of the Revised Code, the board may order the person to pay an administrative penalty described in division (L)(2) of this section for each violation in accordance with the rule adopted by the board.
(4) For purposes of the administrative penalties described in divisions (L)(2) and (3) of this section, each sale that occurs in violation of this section or section 4517.221 of the Revised Code and each day that a violation occurs or continues to occur constitutes a separate violation.
(5) All penalties collected pursuant to division (L)(3) of this section shall be paid to the title defect rescission fund established in section 1345.52 of the Revised Code.
Amended by 130th General Assembly File No. TBD, HB 318, §1, eff. 3/23/2015.
Effective Date: 01-01-2004Section: Previous 4517.16 4517.17 4517.171 4517.18 4517.19 4517.20 4517.21 4517.22 4517.221 4517.23 4517.24 4517.25 4517.26 4517.261 4517.27 Next
Last modified: October 10, 2016