(1) As used in this section
(a) "Free clinic" has the same meaning as in section 3701.071 of the Revised Code.
(b) "Indigent and uninsured person" and "operation" have the same meanings as in section 2305.234 of the Revised Code.
(2) For the purposes of this section, a person shall be considered retired from practice if the person's license has been surrendered or allowed to expire with the intention of ceasing to practice as a dentist or dental hygienist for remuneration.
(B) Within thirty days after receiving an application for a volunteer's certificate that includes all of the items listed in divisions (C)(1), (2), and (3) of this section, the state dental board shall issue, without examination, a volunteer's certificate to a person who is retired from practice so that the person may provide dental services to indigent and uninsured persons at any location, including a free clinic.
(C) An application for a volunteer's certificate shall include all of the following:
(1) A copy of the applicant's degree from dental college or dental hygiene school.
(2) One of the following, as applicable:
(a) A copy of the applicant's most recent license to practice dentistry or dental hygiene issued by a jurisdiction in the United States that licenses persons to practice dentistry or dental hygiene.
(b) A copy of the applicant's most recent license equivalent to a license to practice dentistry or dental hygiene in one or more branches of the United States armed services that the United States government issued.
(3) Evidence of one of the following, as applicable:
(a) The applicant has maintained for at least ten years prior to retirement full licensure in good standing in any jurisdiction in the United States that licenses persons to practice dentistry or dental hygiene.
(b) The applicant has practiced as a dentist or dental hygienist in good standing for at least ten years prior to retirement in one or more branches of the United States armed services.
(D) The holder of a volunteer's certificate may provide dental services only to indigent and uninsured persons, but may do so at any location, including a free clinic. The holder shall not accept any form of remuneration for providing dental services while in possession of the certificate. Except in a dental emergency, the holder shall not perform any operation. The board may revoke a volunteer's certificate on receiving proof satisfactory to the board that the holder has engaged in practice in this state outside the scope of the holder's certificate or that there are grounds for action against the person under section 4715.30 of the Revised Code.
(1) A volunteer's certificate shall be valid for a period of three years, and may be renewed upon the application of the holder, unless the certificate was previously revoked under division (D) of this section. The board shall maintain a register of all persons who hold volunteer's certificates. The board shall not charge a fee for issuing or renewing a certificate pursuant to this section.
(2) To be eligible for renewal of a volunteer's certificate, the holder of the certificate shall certify to the board completion of sixty hours of continuing dental education that meets the requirements of section 4715.141 of the Revised Code and the rules adopted under that section, or completion of eighteen hours of continuing dental hygiene education that meets the requirements of section 4715.25 of the Revised Code and the rules adopted under that section, as the case may be. The board may not renew a certificate if the holder has not complied with the appropriate continuing education requirements. Any entity for which the holder provides dental services may pay for or reimburse the holder for any costs incurred in obtaining the required continuing education credits.
(3) The board shall issue to each person who qualifies under this section for a volunteer's certificate a wallet certificate and a wall certificate that state that the certificate holder is authorized to provide dental services pursuant to the laws of this state. The holder shall keep the wallet certificate on the holder's person while providing dental services and shall display the wall certificate prominently at the location where the holder primarily practices.
(4) The holder of a volunteer's certificate issued pursuant to this section is subject to the immunity provisions regarding the provision of services to indigent and uninsured persons in section 2305.234 of the Revised Code.
(F) The board shall adopt rules in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code to administer and enforce this section.
(G) The state dental board shall make available through the board's web site the application form for a volunteer's certificate under this section, a description of the application process, and a list of all items that are required by division (C) of this section to be submitted with the application.
Amended by 130th General Assembly File No. TBD, HB 320, §1, eff. 3/23/2015.
Effective Date: 04-13-2004; 04-07-2005Section: Previous 4715.373 4715.374 4715.375 4715.38 4715.39 4715.40 4715.41 4715.42 4715.421 4715.51 4715.52 4715.53 4715.54 4715.55 4715.56 Next
Last modified: October 10, 2016