(A) A pharmacist may dispense or sell a dangerous drug, other than a schedule II controlled substance as defined in section 3719.01 of the Revised Code, without a written or oral prescription from a licensed health professional authorized to prescribe drugs if all of the following conditions are met:
(1) The pharmacy at which the pharmacist works has a record of a prescription for the drug in the name of the patient who is requesting it, but the prescription does not provide for a refill or the time permitted by rules adopted by the state board of pharmacy for providing refills has elapsed.
(2) The pharmacist is unable to obtain authorization to refill the prescription from the health care professional who issued the prescription or another health professional responsible for the patient's care.
(3) In the exercise of the pharmacist's professional judgment:
(a) The drug is essential to sustain the life of the patient or continue therapy for a chronic condition of the patient.
(b) Failure to dispense or sell the drug to the patient could result in harm to the health of the patient.
(4) The amount of the drug that is dispensed or sold under this section does not exceed a seventy-two hour supply as provided in the prescription.
(B) A pharmacist who dispenses or sells a drug under this section shall do all of the following:
(1) For one year after the date of dispensing or sale, maintain a record in accordance with this chapter of the drug dispensed or sold, including the name and address of the patient and the individual receiving the drug, if the individual receiving the drug is not the patient, the amount dispensed or sold, and the original prescription number;
(2) Notify the health professional who issued the prescription described in division (A)(1) of this section or another health professional responsible for the patient's care not later than seventy-two hours after the drug is sold or dispensed;
(3) If applicable, obtain authorization for additional dispensing from one of the health professionals described in division (B)(2) of this section.
(C) A pharmacist who dispenses or sells a drug under this section may do so once for each prescription described in division (A)(1) of this section.
Effective Date: 07-22-1998Section: Previous 4729.19 4729.20-to-4729.24 4729.25 4729.26 4729.261-4729.262 4729.27 4729.28 4729.281 4729.29 4729.291 4729.292 4729.30 4729.31 4729.32 4729.33 Next
Last modified: October 10, 2016