(1) The director of agriculture or the director's designee may enter at all reasonable times any premises at which a dangerous wild animal or restricted snake is confined, with the consent of the owner of the premises, for the purpose of determining compliance with this chapter and rules.
(2) If the director or the director's designee is denied access to any such premises, and if the director reasonably suspects that the person who possesses the dangerous wild animal or restricted snake is not in compliance with this chapter or rules, the director may apply to a court of competent jurisdiction in the county in which the premises is located for a search warrant authorizing access to the premises for the purposes of this section.
(3) The court shall issue the search warrant for the purposes requested if there is probable cause to believe that the person is not in compliance with this chapter or rules. The finding of probable cause may be based on hearsay, provided that there is a substantial basis for believing that the source of the hearsay is credible and that there is a factual basis for the information furnished.
(B) The director may designate any of the following to conduct inspections under this section:
(1) Employees of the department of agriculture;
(2) Natural resources law enforcement officers with the consent of the director of natural resources;
(3) Employees of the department of health with the consent of the director of health;
(4) Employees of a board of health with the consent of the board;
(5) Agents of a humane society appointed under section 1717.06 of the Revised Code with the consent of the humane society.
(C) If a person designated under division (B) of this section determines, while conducting an inspection, that a violation of this chapter or rules has occurred, is occurring, or may occur, the person shall immediately notify the director of agriculture. The director may proceed as provided in section 935.24 of the Revised Code.
Added by 129th General AssemblyFile No.113, SB 310, §1, eff. 9/5/2012.Section: Previous 935.12 935.13 935.14 935.15 935.16 935.17 935.18 935.19 935.20 935.21 935.22 935.23 935.24 935.25 935.26 Next
Last modified: October 10, 2016