(1) As used in this section, “pretermitted child” means a child of a testator who is born or adopted after the execution of the will of the testator, who is neither provided for in the will nor in any way mentioned in the will and who survives the testator.
(2) If a testator has one or more children living when the testator executes a will and no provision is made in the will for any such living child, a pretermitted child shall not take a share of the estate of the testator disposed of by the will.
(3) If a testator has one or more children living when the testator executes a will and provision is made in the will for one or more of such living children, a pretermitted child is entitled to share in the estate of the testator disposed of by the will as follows:
(a) The pretermitted child may share only in the portion of the estate devised to the living children by the will.
(b) The share of each pretermitted child shall be the total value of the portion of the estate devised to the living children by the will divided by the number of pretermitted children plus the number of living children for whom provision, other than nominal provision, is made in the will.
(c) To the extent feasible, the interest of a pretermitted child in the estate shall be of the same character, whether equitable or legal, as the interest the testator gave to the living children by the will.
(4) If a testator has no child living when the testator executes a will, a pretermitted child shall take a share of the estate as though the testator had died intestate.
(5) A pretermitted child may recover the share of the estate to which the child is entitled, as provided in this section, either from the other children under subsection (3) of this section or from the testamentary beneficiaries under subsection (4) of this section, ratably, out of the portions of the estate passing to those persons under the will. In abating the interests of those beneficiaries, the character of the testamentary plan adopted by the testator shall be preserved so far as possible. [1969 c.591 §54]Section: Previous 112.345 112.355 112.365 112.375 112.385 112.395 112.400 112.405 112.410 112.415 112.425 112.435 112.455 112.457 112.465 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008