(1) Any boat, vehicle, aircraft or other conveyance used by or with the knowledge of the owner or the person operating or in charge thereof, other than stolen conveyances, in the unlawful transportation of livestock, livestock carcasses, poultry or other personal property, as provided in ORS 142.070, or in which any such personal property unlawfully possessed is kept or concealed by or with the knowledge of such owner or person operating or in charge thereof, shall be forfeited to the state as provided in this section.
(2) If the person arrested under ORS 133.465 is not the owner of the vehicle or conveyance seized, the sheriff shall make reasonable effort to determine the name and address of the owner. If the sheriff is able to determine the name and address of the owner, the sheriff shall immediately notify the owner by registered or certified mail of the seizure and of the owner’s rights and duties under this section and ORS 133.465.
(3) A person notified under subsection (2) of this section, or any other person asserting a claim to rightful possession of the vehicle or conveyance seized, except the defendant, may move the court having ultimate trial jurisdiction over any crime charged in connection with the seizure, to return the vehicle or conveyance to the movant.
(4) The movant shall serve a copy of the motion upon the district attorney of the county in which the vehicle or conveyance is in custody. The court shall order the vehicle or conveyance returned to the movant, unless the court is satisfied by clear and convincing evidence that the movant knowingly consented to the unlawful use that resulted in the seizure. If the court does not order the return of the vehicle or conveyance, the movant shall obtain the return only as provided in ORS 133.465.
(5) If the court orders the return of the vehicle or conveyance to the movant, the movant shall not be liable for any towing or storage costs incurred as a result of the seizure.
(6) If the court does not order the return of the vehicle or conveyance under subsection (4) of this section, and the arrested person is convicted for any offense in connection with the seizure, the vehicle or conveyance shall be subject to forfeiture as provided in this section and ORS 133.470 and 133.475. [Formerly 142.080]Section: Previous 133.381 133.410 133.420 133.430 133.440 133.450 133.455 133.460 133.465 133.470 133.475 133.485 133.495 133.510 133.515 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008