(1) When a person is sentenced to imprisonment in the custody of the Department of Corrections, the term of confinement therein commences from the day the person is delivered to the custody of an officer of the Department of Corrections for the purpose of serving the sentence executed, regardless of whether the sentence is to be served in a state or federal institution.
(2) Except as provided in subsections (3) and (4) of this section, when a person is sentenced to imprisonment in the custody of the Department of Corrections, for the purpose of computing the amount of sentence served the term of confinement includes only:
(a) The time that the person is confined by any authority after the arrest for the crime for which sentence is imposed; and
(b) The time that the person is authorized by the Department of Corrections to spend outside a confinement facility, in a program conducted by or for the Department of Corrections.
(3) When a judgment of conviction is vacated and a new sentence is thereafter imposed upon the defendant for the same crime, the period of detention and imprisonment theretofore served shall be deducted from the maximum term, and from the minimum, if any, of the new sentence.
(4) A person who is confined as the result of a sentence for a crime or conduct that is not directly related to the crime for which the sentence is imposed, or for violation of the conditions of probation, parole or post-prison supervision, shall not receive presentence incarceration credit for the time served in jail towards service of the term of confinement.
(5) Unless the court expressly orders otherwise, a term of imprisonment shall be concurrent with that portion of any sentence previously imposed that remains unexpired at the time the court imposes sentence. This subsection applies regardless of whether the earlier sentence was imposed by the same or any other court, and regardless of whether the earlier sentence is being or is to be served in the same penal institution or under the same correctional authority as will be the later sentence. [Amended by 1955 c.660 §15; 1965 c.463 §19; 1967 c.232 §2; 1973 c.562 §2; 1973 c.631 §4; 1981 c.424 §2; 1987 c.251 §4; 1987 c.320 §35; 1995 c.657 §20]Section: Previous 137.315 137.320 137.330 137.333 137.340 137.350 137.360 137.370 137.372 137.375 137.380 137.390 137.400 137.410 137.420 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008