(1) The Public Defense Services Commission is established in the judicial branch of state government. Except for the appointment or removal of commission members, the commission and employees of the commission are not subject to the exercise of administrative authority and supervision by the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court as the administrative head of the Judicial Department.
(2) The commission consists of seven members appointed by order of the Chief Justice. In addition to the seven appointed members, the Chief Justice serves as a nonvoting, ex officio member. The Chief Justice shall appoint at least two persons who are not bar members, at least one person who is a bar member and who is engaged in criminal defense representation and at least one person who is a former Oregon state prosecutor. Except for the Chief Justice or a senior judge under ORS 1.300, a member may not serve concurrently as a judge, a prosecuting attorney or an employee of a law enforcement agency. A person who is primarily engaged in providing public defense services may not serve as a member of the commission.
(3) The term of a member is four years beginning on the effective date of the order of the Chief Justice appointing the member. A member is eligible for reappointment if qualified for membership at the time of reappointment. A member may be removed from the commission by order of the Chief Justice. If a vacancy occurs for any cause before the expiration of the term of a member, the Chief Justice shall make an appointment to become immediately effective for the unexpired term.
(4) A chairperson and a vice chairperson shall be appointed by order of the Chief Justice every two years with such functions as the commission may determine. A member is eligible for reappointment as chairperson or vice chairperson.
(5) A majority of the voting members constitutes a quorum for the transaction of business.
(6) A member of the commission is not entitled to compensation for services as a member, but is entitled to expenses as provided in ORS 292.495 (2). [2001 c.962 §2; 2003 c.449 §15]
Note: See note under 151.211.Section: Previous 151.060 151.070 151.080 151.090 151.150 151.210 151.211 151.213 151.216 151.219 151.220 151.221 151.225 151.230 151.240 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008