(1) If in determining that a person is financially eligible for appointed counsel under ORS 151.485, the court finds that the person has financial resources that enable the person to pay in full or in part the administrative costs of determining the eligibility of the person and the costs of the legal and other services to be provided at state expense that are related to the provision of appointed counsel, the court shall order the person to pay to the Public Defense Services Account in the General Fund, through the clerk of the court, the amount that it finds the person is able to pay without creating substantial hardship in providing basic economic necessities to the person or the personís dependent family. The amount that a court may order the person to pay is subject to the guidelines and procedures issued by the Public Defense Services Commission as provided in subsection (4) of this section.
(2) Failure to obey an order under this section is not grounds for contempt or grounds for withdrawal by the appointed attorney, but any part of the amount ordered under this section and not paid may be:
(a) Enforced against the person as if the order is a civil judgment; or
(b) Enforced as otherwise permitted by law.
(3) Except as authorized in this section, no person, organization or governmental agency may request or accept a payment or promise of payment for assisting in the representation of a person by appointment.
(4) The commission shall promulgate and issue guidelines and procedures:
(a) For the determination of persons provided with appointed counsel who have some financial resources to pay in full or in part the administrative, legal and other costs under subsection (1) of this section; and
(b) Regarding the amounts persons may be required to pay by a court under subsection (1) of this section.
(5) The determination that a person is able to pay or partially able to pay, or that a person no longer has the ability to pay the amount ordered in subsection (1) of this section, is subject to review at any time by the court. [1989 c.1053 §14; 1993 c.33 §305; 1997 c.761 §3; 2001 c.962 §34]Section: Previous 151.430 151.440 151.450 151.460 151.465 151.470 151.480 151.485 151.487 151.489 151.491 151.493 151.495 151.497 151.505 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008