(1) As used in this section, “nonperson felony” has the meaning given that term in the rules of the Oregon Criminal Justice Commission.
(2) A district attorney may elect to treat a Class C nonperson felony or a violation of ORS 475.840 (3)(a), 475.854, 475.864 (2) or 475.874 as a Class A misdemeanor. The election must be made by the district attorney orally or in writing at the time of the first appearance of the defendant. If a district attorney elects to treat a Class C felony or a violation of ORS 475.840 (3)(a), 475.854, 475.864 (2) or 475.874 as a Class A misdemeanor under this subsection, the court shall amend the accusatory instrument to reflect the charged offense as a Class A misdemeanor.
(3) If, at some time after the first appearance of a defendant charged with a Class C nonperson felony or a violation of ORS 475.840 (3)(a), 475.854, 475.864 (2) or 475.874, the district attorney and the defendant agree to treat the charged offense as a Class A misdemeanor, the court may allow the offense to be treated as a Class A misdemeanor by stipulation of the parties.
(4) If a Class C felony or a violation of ORS 475.840 (3)(a), 475.854, 475.864 (2) or 475.874 is treated as a Class A misdemeanor under this section, the court shall clearly denominate the offense as a Class A misdemeanor in any judgment entered in the matter.
(5) If no election or stipulation is made under this section, the case proceeds as a felony.
(6) Before a district attorney may make an election under subsection (2) of this section, the district attorney shall adopt written guidelines for determining when and under what circumstances the election may be made. The district attorney shall apply the guidelines uniformly.
(7) Notwithstanding ORS 161.635, the maximum fine that a court may impose upon conviction of a misdemeanor under this section may not exceed the amount provided in ORS 161.625 for the class of felony receiving Class A misdemeanor treatment. [2003 c.645 §2; 2005 c.708 §47; 2007 c.286 §1]Section: Previous 161.525 161.535 161.545 161.555 161.565 161.566 161.568 161.570 161.575 161.585 161.605 161.610 161.615 161.620 161.625 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008