(1) A person and the personal estate of the person, or a decedentís estate, is liable for the full cost of care. Full cost of care is established according to ORS 179.701.
(2) While the person is liable for the full cost of care, the maximum amount a person is required to pay toward the full cost of care shall be determined according to the personís ability to pay. Ability to pay is determined as provided in ORS 179.640.
(3) Upon the death of a person, the decedentís estate shall be liable for any unpaid cost of care. The liability of the decedentís estate is limited to the cost of care incurred on or after July 24, 1979. The decedentís estate shall not include assets placed in trust for the person by other persons. Collection of any amount from a decedentís estate shall be pursuant to ORS 179.740.
(4) Regardless of subsection (1) of this section and ORS 179.610 (6), assets held in trust by a trustee for a person are subject to laws generally applicable to trusts.
(5) Notwithstanding subsections (1) and (3) of this section, neither the Department of Human Services nor the Department of Corrections may collect the cost of care from:
(a) Any assets received by or owing to a person and the personal estate of the person, or the decedentís estate, as compensation from the state for injury, death or, if the collection is being made by the Department of Corrections, the false imprisonment of the person that occurred when the person was in a state institution listed in ORS 179.321 and for which the state admits liability or is found liable through adjudication; and
(b) Any real or personal property of the personal estate of the person, or the decedentís estate, that the person or an authorized representative of the person can demonstrate was purchased solely with assets referred to in paragraph (a) of this subsection or partially with such assets, to the extent such assets were used in the purchase. [1959 c.652 §2; 1961 c.501 §1; 1973 c.823 §§122,158; 1979 c.684 §2; 1989 c.348 §2; 1999 c.159 §1; 2001 c.487 §2]Section: Previous 179.510 179.520 179.530 179.540 179.545 179.550 179.610 179.620 179.630 179.635 179.640 179.643 179.645 179.650 179.653 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008