(1) The county court shall submit the proposition for incorporation determined as provided in ORS 221.040 to the electors registered in the area proposed to be incorporated. At the same election, five city council members for the proposed city shall be elected.
(2) ORS chapters 246 to 260 govern the conduct of an election under this section, including the nomination and election of the first city council, except as follows:
(a) A nominating or primary election for the purpose of nominating candidates for the city council shall not be held.
(b) Notwithstanding ORS 249.037, a nominating petition or declaration of candidacy must be filed with the county clerk not sooner than the 100th day and not later than the 70th day before the date of the election.
(c) At the time of filing a declaration of candidacy, a candidate for the first city council shall pay to the officer with whom the declaration is filed a fee of $25.
(d) A nominating petition shall contain at least 25 signatures of electors in the area proposed to be incorporated or a number of signatures of electors equal to at least 10 percent of the number of electors in the area proposed to be incorporated as of the date the election is ordered under ORS 221.040, whichever is less.
(3) The proposed ballot title for an election under this section shall be in compliance with ORS 250.036.
(4) Not later than the 30th day after an election called under ORS 221.040 the county court calling the election shall proclaim whether the results of the election favor incorporation. The county court also shall proclaim which candidates for city council are elected, if the results of the election favor incorporation. The results of the election favor incorporation if a majority of the votes cast on the proposition favors incorporation and:
(a) At least 50 percent of registered electors eligible to vote in the election cast a ballot; or
(b) The election is a general election in an even-numbered year.
(5) If the results of the election favor incorporation:
(a) The area described in the notice of election is incorporated as a city from the date of the election;
(b) The proposed rate limit for operating taxes submitted to and approved by the electors at the election shall be the permanent rate limit for operating taxes for the new city; and
(c) The five council members elected under subsection (2) of this section shall take office not later than the 10th day next following the proclamation on the proposition and council election. [Amended by 1953 c.593 §3; 1983 c.350 §18; 1987 c.707 §4; 1987 c.267 §66; 1989 c.92 §§31,31b; 1995 c.607 §64; 1997 c.541 §354]Section: Previous 221.030 221.031 221.032 221.034 221.035 221.036 221.040 221.050 221.060 221.061 221.070 221.080 221.090 221.100 221.102 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008