(1) Notwithstanding any other provision of ORS 238A.100 to 238A.245, an active member of the pension program described in subsection (2) of this section who becomes disabled shall accrue retirement credit and hours of service credit for vesting purposes for the period during which the member is disabled.
(2) The provisions of this section apply only to:
(a) A member who has accrued 10 years or more of retirement credit before the member becomes disabled; or
(b) A member who becomes disabled by reason of injury or disease sustained while in the actual performance of duty.
(3) Retirement credit accrues under this section only for as long as the member remains disabled or until the member reaches the normal retirement age under ORS 238A.160.
(4) If a disabled member does not return to employment with a participating public employer after the period of disability, the member shall receive a pension under ORS 238A.180, 238A.185 or 238A.190 upon retirement based on an adjusted salary. The adjusted salary shall be the salary paid to the disabled member on the date the member left active employment with the participating public employer by reason of disability, adjusted for each year after the member left employment and before the memberís effective date of retirement to reflect cost-of-living changes, based on the Portland-Salem, OR-WA, Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers for All Items, as published by the Bureau of Labor Statistics of the United States Department of Labor. Adjustments under this subsection may not exceed a two percent increase or decrease for any year. An adjustment shall be made under this subsection only for calendar years in which the member is disabled for at least six months during the year.
(5) A pension program member is considered to be disabled for the purpose of this section if the member is found, after being examined by one or more physicians selected by the Public Employees Retirement Board, to be mentally or physically incapacitated for an extended duration and unable to perform any work for which qualified, by reason of injury or disease that was not intentionally self-inflicted. [2003 c.733 §14]Section: Previous 238A.120 238A.125 238A.130 238A.140 238A.142 238A.145 238A.150 238A.155 238A.157 238A.160 238A.165 238A.170 238A.180 238A.185 238A.190 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008