As used in ORS 243.954 to 243.974:
(1) “Child” means a person who is a natural child, adopted child or stepchild of a public safety officer and who is:
(a) 18 years of age or younger;
(b) 18 through 22 years of age and enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student; or
(c) 18 years of age or older and incapable of self-support due to a physical or mental disability.
(2) “Designee” means a person designated under ORS 243.974 (1).
(3) “Family member” means:
(a) The spouse of a public safety officer.
(b) A child of a public safety officer.
(c) A person who qualifies as a dependent of a public safety officer for state income tax purposes.
(4) “Permanent total disability” has the meaning given that term in ORS 656.206.
(5) “Public safety officer” means:
(a) Corrections officers, as defined in ORS 181.610.
(b) Fire service professionals, as defined in ORS 181.610, and includes volunteer firefighters as defined in ORS 652.050.
(c) Parole and probation officers, as defined in ORS 181.610.
(d) Police officers, as defined in ORS 181.610, and includes reserve officers, as defined in ORS 181.610.
(e) Youth correction officers, as defined in ORS 181.610.
(6) “Qualifying death or disability” means death or permanent total disability suffered by a public safety officer while on or off duty that is the direct or proximate result of:
(a) An enforcement action, an emergency response or public safety training for an enforcement action or emergency response that the public safety officer is authorized or obligated to perform by law, rule, regulation or condition of employment or service; or
(b) An act committed against the public safety officer because of the public safety officer’s position as a public safety officer. [1999 c.981 §4; 2001 c.493 §3; 2003 c.295 §1; 2007 c.378 §1]
Note: See note under 243.950.Section: Previous 243.920 243.930 243.935 243.940 243.945 243.950 243.952 243.954 243.956 243.958 243.959 243.960 243.962 243.964 243.966 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008