(1) Upon receipt of an application made under ORS 253.565, if the applicant’s residence is in the county, the county clerk, without regard to whether the applicant is an elector of the county, shall mail to the applicant a special absentee ballot, instructions for filling in and returning the ballot and an envelope to use for the return. The name, official title and office address of the clerk shall appear on the front of the envelope. On the back shall appear a statement to be signed by the absent elector, stating that the elector:
(a) Is qualified to vote;
(b) Unless prevented by physical disability, has personally marked the ballot; and
(c) Has not unnecessarily exhibited the marked ballot to any other person.
(2) The completed and signed application submitted under ORS 253.565 shall constitute a valid registration for the applicant.
(3) If the county clerk receives an application for a special absentee ballot on or after the 45th day before the election specified in the application, the county clerk shall treat the application as an application made under ORS 253.540.
(4) A long term absent elector may obtain a replacement ballot if the ballot is destroyed, spoiled, lost or not received by the elector. The county clerk shall keep a record of each replacement ballot provided under this subsection.
(5) Notwithstanding subsection (3) of this section, a replacement ballot may be mailed or shall be made available in the office of the county clerk.
(6) If the county clerk determines that a long term absent elector to whom a replacement ballot has been issued at the request of the elector has voted more than once, the county clerk shall not count any ballot cast by the elector. If the county clerk is required to reissue ballots due to a change on the ballot for any reason, that ballot shall be counted in lieu of any previous ballot issued unless:
(a) Only the original ballot was voted and returned; or
(b) The county clerk issued a supplemental ballot that is not a complete replacement of the original ballot. [1985 c.720 §3; 1989 c.923 §2; 1991 c.719 §51; 1993 c.713 §61; 1995 c.607 §37; 1999 c.318 §34; 1999 c.410 §36]Section: Previous 253.530 253.540 253.545 253.550 253.560 253.565 253.570 253.575 253.580 253.585 253.590 253.600 253.610 253.620 253.630 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008