(1) If a majority of votes cast at the election favors formation of the people’s utility district and authorization of the district to impose a special levy for the purposes stated in the petition for formation, or annexation of a parcel of territory or a city to an existing district, or consolidation of two or more districts, as the case may be, and in conformity with provisions of ORS 261.105 and 261.110, the county governing body shall issue a proclamation accordingly and file a certified copy with the county clerk of each county where the district or any portion thereof is located. The proclamation for formation of a district shall be in substantially the following form:
Whereas at an election duly and regularly held on the ___ day of ______, 2___, within ______ County (or ______ Counties), State of Oregon, and within the boundaries of a proposed district as herein described, there was submitted to the electors thereof the question whether or not a people’s utility district should be incorporated as the (here insert name of district) and to give authority to impose a special levy of $_____ under and pursuant to the provisions of ORS chapter 261; and
Whereas at the election so held ___ votes were cast in favor of incorporation, and ___ votes were cast against incorporation; and
Whereas the incorporation of the (here insert name of district) received the affirmative vote of the majority of the votes cast at the election;
Now, therefore, the undersigned hereby does proclaim and declare that all of that part of the State of Oregon, described as (here insert description) has been duly and legally incorporated as the ______ People’s Utility District under and pursuant to the Constitution and laws of the State of Oregon, and the district has the authority to collect the sum of $_____ by special levy against the taxable property within the district.
Chairperson of the County Governing Body.
(2) The proclamation for annexing a parcel of territory or a city to an existing district or the consolidation of two or more existing districts, or both, shall be adaptations of the above proclamation.
(3) The proclamation of formation, with the notice of boundary change under ORS 308.225, shall be filed by the district with the county assessor of each county in which any portion of the district is situated, who shall thereupon enter the special levy.
(4) Expenditure of the moneys received from the special levy for the purposes stated in the petition for district formation may be made by the district without prior adoption of a budget under ORS 294.305 to 294.520.
(5) Following proclamation of formation of a district, any person whose property has been improperly included within a district, contrary to the provisions of ORS 261.110 (5) or (7), may petition a county governing body to revise the district boundaries to exclude the property. After notice to the district, and a hearing on the petition, the county governing body shall revise the district boundaries to exclude such property as it finds should not have been included within the district under the standards set forth in ORS 261.110 (5) or (7). Upon such findings and boundary revisions a district shall be permitted to refund related taxes paid that are based upon assessments made after January 1, 1978. Boundary revisions shall comply with ORS 308.225. The remedy provided in this subsection shall be available only to persons owning property in districts which were formed after January 1, 1978. [Amended by 1973 c.796 §13; 1979 c.558 §17; 1981 c.758 §2; 2003 c.14 §124; 2003 c.802 §73]Section: Previous 261.170 261.171 261.175 261.180 261.185 261.190 261.195 261.200 261.205 261.210 261.215 261.220 261.225 261.235 261.240 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008