(1) If formation of a district is initiated by resolution adopted and filed in accordance with ORS 267.107, upon the submitting of a formation order by the county governing body to the proposed district electors, one district director shall be elected from each of the seven subdistricts described in the order calling an election for district creation. A director shall reside in the subdistrict from which the director is nominated and elected.
(2) The board of directors of the district shall consist of the seven directors elected from subdistricts under subsection (1) of this section.
(3) After the initial formation of a district, the Secretary of State, after each decennial federal census, shall modify the boundaries of the subdistricts so that the subdistricts remain as nearly equal in population as possible based on the latest federal census.
(4) The term of office of a director shall be four years, provided, however, that three of the first elected directors shall initially have a term of office expiring June 30 of the next odd-numbered year following district formation and four of the first elected directors shall initially have a term of office expiring June 30 of the next odd-numbered year not less than two years following district formation. The first elected directors of the district, upon taking office, shall by lot, supervised by the board, determine which three directors shall have the shorter initial terms and which four shall have the longer initial terms. When a vacancy occurs in the office of a director, the remaining members of the board shall appoint a resident of the affected subdistrict to serve until June 30 of the next odd-numbered year, in which year a director shall be elected to serve the remainder of the unexpired term. A director whose term has expired shall continue to serve until the election of a successor.
(5) Directors shall not be entitled to compensation for their services but shall be entitled to reimbursement for actual and necessary expenses incurred or paid in the performance of their duties as members of the board. [1975 c.632 §2; 1977 c.347 §4; 1977 c.728 §2a; 1979 c.585 §2; 1985 c.678 §5]Section: Previous 267.097 267.100 267.105 267.107 267.108 267.109 267.110 267.112 267.114 267.115 267.120 267.125 267.130 267.135 267.140 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008