(1) Subject to the provisions of a district charter, to carry out the purposes of this chapter, a district may by ordinance impose a tax:
(a) Upon the entire taxable income of every resident of the district subject to tax under ORS chapter 316 and upon the taxable income of every nonresident that is derived from sources within the district which income is subject to tax under ORS chapter 316; and
(b) On or measured by the net income of a mercantile, manufacturing, business, financial, centrally assessed, investment, insurance or other corporation or entity taxable as a corporation doing business, located, or having a place of business or office within or having income derived from sources within the district which income is subject to tax under ORS chapter 317 or 318.
(2) The rate of the tax imposed by ordinance adopted under authority of subsection (1) of this section shall not exceed one percent. The tax may be imposed and collected as a surtax upon the state income or excise tax.
(3) Any ordinance adopted pursuant to subsection (1) of this section may require a nonresident, corporation or other entity taxable as a corporation having income from activity both within and without the district taxable by the State of Oregon to allocate and apportion such net income to the district in the manner required for allocation and apportionment of income under ORS 314.280 and 314.605 to 314.675.
(4) If a district adopts an ordinance under this section, the ordinance shall be consistent with any state law relating to the same subject, and with rules and regulations of the Department of Revenue prescribed under ORS 305.620.
(5) Any ordinance adopted by the district under subsection (1) of this section shall receive the approval of the electors of the district before taking effect. [1977 c.665 §22; 1997 c.833 §17]Section: Previous 268.475 268.480 268.485 268.490 268.495 268.500 268.503 268.505 268.507 268.509 268.510 268.512 268.513 268.514 268.515 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008