(1) There is created the Oregon Innovation Council consisting of the following voting members:
(a) The Governor or the Governorís designated representative, who shall be chairperson of the council.
(b) Five members appointed by the Governor who are engaged in the operations of Oregon traded sector industries.
(c) One member appointed by the Governor who is a representative of an Oregon-based, generally accredited, not-for-profit private institution of higher education.
(d) A member of the Oregon Growth Account Board, appointed by the board, who has experience in the field of venture capital.
(e) A member of the Engineering and Technology Industry Council, appointed by the Engineering and Technology Industry Council.
(f) The Director of the Economic and Community Development Department.
(g) The Chancellor of the Oregon University System.
(h) The Commissioner for Community College Services.
(i) The State Treasurer.
(2)(a) The Speaker of the House of Representatives shall appoint two members to the council who are members of the House of Representatives.
(b) The President of the Senate shall appoint two members to the council who are members of the Senate.
(c) Members of the Legislative Assembly appointed to the council are nonvoting members and may act in an advisory capacity only.
(3) The following persons, or their representatives, shall serve as ex officio, nonvoting members of the council:
(a) The chairperson of the Oregon Economic and Community Development Commission.
(b) The president of the State Board of Higher Education.
(c) The chairperson of the State Board of Education.
(d) An executive officer of an association representing Oregon-based, generally accredited, not-for-profit private institutions of higher education, appointed by the Governor.
(4) The term of office of each appointed voting member of the council is three years, but an appointed member serves at the pleasure of the appointing authority. Before the expiration of the term of an appointed voting member, the appointing authority shall appoint a successor whose term begins on July 1 next following. An appointed member is eligible for reappointment. If there is a vacancy for any cause, the appointing authority shall make an appointment to become immediately effective for the remainder of the unexpired term.
(5) A majority of the voting members of the council constitutes a quorum for the transaction of business.
(6) Official action by the council requires the approval of a majority of the voting members of the council.
(7) The council shall meet at least twice per fiscal year at a place, day and time determined by the chairperson. The council may also meet at other times and places specified by a call of the chairperson or by written request of a majority of the voting members of the council.
(8) The council may adopt rules necessary for the operation of the council.
(9) The council may establish committees and delegate to the committees duties as the council considers desirable.
(10) The Economic and Community Development Department shall provide staff support to the council.
(11) Members of the council who are not members of the Legislative Assembly are entitled to compensation and expenses incurred by them in the performance of their official duties in the manner and amounts provided for in ORS 292.495. Claims for compensation and expenses of members of the council who are public officers shall be paid out of funds appropriated to the public agency that employs the member. Claims for compensation and expenses of members of the council who are not public officers shall be paid out of funds appropriated to the Economic and Community Development Department for that purpose.
(12) All agencies of state government, as defined in ORS 174.111, are directed to assist the council in the performance of its duties and, to the extent permitted by laws relating to confidentiality, to furnish such information and advice as the members of the council consider necessary to perform their duties. [2005 c.748 §2; 2007 c.804 §85]
Note: Section 3, chapter 748, Oregon Laws 2005, provides:
Sec. 3. Notwithstanding the term of office specified in section 2 of this 2005 Act [284.706], of the members first appointed to the Oregon Innovation Council by the Governor:
(1) Two shall serve for terms ending June 30, 2007.
(2) Two shall serve for terms ending June 30, 2008.
(3) Two shall serve for terms ending June 30, 2009. [2005 c.748 §3]Section: Previous 284.675 284.680 284.690 284.695 284.700 284.701 284.705 284.706 284.710 284.711 284.715 284.720 284.725 284.730 284.735 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008