(1) As used in this section, “general governmental purposes” means:
(a) Those activities defined as governmental activities under the accounting standards promulgated by the Governmental Accounting Standards Board of the Financial Accounting Foundation that are in effect on August 10, 2001; and
(b) Post-secondary educational activities that are partially funded by student tuition and fees.
(2) Each biennium, state governmental appropriations for general governmental purposes shall be no greater than eight percent of projected personal income in Oregon for the same biennium. Projected personal income shall be based on the United States Department of Commerce projections used by the Oregon Department of Administrative Services in the last forecast given to the Legislative Assembly before adjournment sine die of the regular session on which the printed, adopted budget is based.
(3) For purposes of this section, the following are considered to be appropriations:
(a) An authorization, given by law, to expend moneys in a biennium;
(b) A limitation, imposed by law, on the expenditure in a biennium of moneys that are continuously appropriated; and
(c) An estimate of amounts of moneys that are continuously appropriated that will be spent in a biennium without limitation.
(4) The following appropriations are not subject to the limitation on appropriations contained in this section:
(a) Appropriations for the construction or acquisition of assets that are financed by state bonds, certificates of participation or other forms of borrowing.
(b) Appropriations of moneys received directly or indirectly from the federal government.
(c) Appropriations for fee remission programs of the Department of Higher Education.
(d) Appropriations of moneys voluntarily donated to a state agency.
(e) Appropriations of moneys from revenue increases or new revenue sources if the increases or sources result from approval of a measure by the people at an election held on or after August 10, 2001.
(f) Appropriations to fund new programs or to increase funding for existing programs if the need for new or increased funding results from approval of a measure by the people at an election held on or after August 10, 2001.
(5) The limitation on appropriations established by this section may be exceeded for a biennium if the Governor declares an emergency and three-fifths of the members serving in each house of the Legislative Assembly affirmatively vote to exceed the limitation for the biennium. [2001 c.956 §1]
Note: 291.357 was enacted into law by the Legislative Assembly but was not added to or made a part of ORS chapter 291 or any series therein by legislative action. See Preface to Oregon Revised Statutes for further explanation.Section: Previous 291.350 291.351 291.352 291.353 291.354 291.355 291.356 291.357 291.358 291.360 291.362 291.364 291.366 291.368 291.370 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008