(1) Except as provided in ORS 297.435, the accounts and fiscal affairs of every municipal corporation shall be audited and reviewed at least once each calendar or fiscal year, and more often if considered advisable by the governing body or managing or executive officer of the municipal corporation. The audits and reviews shall be made by accountants pursuant to contracts entered into by the governing body, or managing or executive officer, and accountants, or by the Secretary of State pursuant to a duly adopted ordinance or resolution. Upon request of the Secretary of State, the governing body, or managing or executive officer, shall provide the secretary with a copy of the contract entered into or an ordinance or resolution adopted under this section.
(2) All contracts for conducting audits and reviews shall be in a form prescribed or approved by the Secretary of State.
(3) The compensation for audits and reviews performed by accountants shall be as agreed upon between the governing body, or managing or executive officer of the municipal corporation, and the accountant, and shall be paid in the same manner as other claims against the municipal corporation are paid.
(4) All expenses and costs incurred by the Secretary of State in conducting audits and reviews for municipal corporations shall be borne by the municipal corporation for which a particular audit or review is made. The expenses and costs shall be paid to the Secretary of State in the same manner as other claims against the municipal corporation are paid.
(5) Audits and reviews required by this section shall inquire into:
(a) The principles of accounting and methods followed by the municipal corporation in recording, summarizing and reporting its financial transactions and financial condition;
(b) The accuracy and legality of the transactions, accounts, records, files and financial reports of the officers and employees of the municipal corporation as they relate to its fiscal affairs; and
(c) Compliance with requirements, orders and regulations of other public officials which pertain to the financial condition or financial operations of the municipal corporation. [1977 c.774 §4; 1987 c.143 §5; 2001 c.26 §1; 2007 c.184 §1]Section: Previous 297.220 297.230 297.240 297.405 297.410 297.415 297.420 297.425 297.430 297.435 297.440 297.445 297.450 297.455 297.459 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008