(1) After the county assessor has approved an application for exemption filed under this section, all property consisting of land, improvements, fixtures, equipment or supplies, including dams and dikes, owned by any association of persons, wholly mutual or cooperative in character, whether incorporated or unincorporated, used primarily in storing, conveying and distributing water to the members of such association for domestic use or irrigation, where such association has no other business or purpose and its operations are conducted without profit in money, is exempt from taxation.
(2) The property described in subsection (1) of this section shall not be exempt if either of the following conditions existed in the 12-month period prior to the January 1 assessment date:
(a) More than 15 percent of the members of the association were a commercial establishment or establishments that used any of the water for commercial purposes.
(b) More than 25 percent of the total annual volume of water furnished by the association was used by a commercial establishment or establishments for commercial purposes.
(3) For the purpose of this section service to the government of this state, the government of the United States, or any subdivision, agency or instrumentality, corporate or otherwise, of either of them, shall not be construed as a commercial purpose.
(4)(a) An association seeking to claim an exemption under this section shall file an application with the county assessor on or before April 1 preceding the tax year for which the exemption is being claimed.
(b) An application is not required under this section if the property of the association was exempt under this section for the previous tax year and, as of the assessment date for the current tax year, the ownership or use of all of the property that was the subject of the application remains unchanged.
(5) The application shall be on such form and shall contain such information as the Department of Revenue shall prescribe.
(6) The county assessor shall approve or disapprove an application filed under this section and shall notify the applicant of the assessorís determination. [Amended by 1953 c.709 §2; 1955 c.207 §1; 1957 c.274 §1; 1971 c.258 §1; 1971 c.759 §1; 1991 c.459 §49; 1997 c.113 §4; 1997 c.541 §109; 2003 c.37 §1]Section: Previous 307.184 307.190 307.193 307.195 307.200 307.203 307.205 307.210 307.215 307.220 307.230 307.240 307.241 307.242 307.243 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008