(1) If the governing body that has granted an exemption under ORS 307.540 to 307.548 to property in anticipation of future development of low income housing in connection with the exempt property finds that the property is being used for any purpose other than the provision of low income housing, or that any provision of ORS 307.540 to 307.548 is not being complied with, the governing body shall give notice of the proposed termination of the exemption to the owner, by mailing the notice to the last-known address of the owner, and to every known lender, by mailing the notice to the last-known address of every known lender. The notice shall state the reasons for the proposed termination and shall require the owner to appear at a specified time, not less than 20 days after mailing the notice, to show cause, if any, why the exemption should not be terminated.
(2) If the owner fails to appear and show cause why the exemption should not be terminated, the governing body shall notify every known lender, and shall allow any lender not less than 30 days after the date the notice of the failure to appear and show cause is mailed to cure any noncompliance or to provide assurance adequate to the governing body that all noncompliance shall be remedied.
(3) If the owner fails to appear and show cause why the exemption should not be terminated, and the lender fails to cure or give adequate assurance of the cure of any noncompliance, the governing body shall adopt an ordinance or resolution stating its findings that terminate the exemption. A copy of the ordinance or resolution shall be filed within 10 days after its adoption with the county assessor, and a copy shall be sent to the owner at the owner’s last-known address and to the lender at the last-known address of the lender within 10 days after its adoption.
(4) Upon the county assessor’s receipt of the governing body’s termination findings:
(a) The exemption granted the housing unit or portion under ORS 307.540 to 307.548 shall terminate immediately, without right of notice or appeal;
(b) The property shall be assessed and taxed as other property similarly situated is assessed and taxed; and
(c) Notwithstanding ORS 311.235, there shall be added to the general property tax roll for the tax year next following the presentation or discovery, to be collected and distributed in the same manner as other real property tax, an amount equal to the difference between the taxes assessed against the property and the taxes that would have been assessed against the property had it not been exempt under ORS 307.540 to 307.548 for each of the years, not to exceed the last 10 years, during which the property was exempt from taxation under ORS 307.540 to 307.548.
(5) The assessment and tax rolls shall show potential additional tax liability for each property granted exemption under ORS 307.540 to 307.548 because the property is being held for future development of low income housing.
(6) Additional taxes collected under this section shall be deemed to have been imposed in the year to which the additional taxes relate. [1997 c.752 §14]
Note: See note under 307.540.Section: Previous 307.533 307.535 307.537 307.540 307.541 307.543 307.545 307.548 307.550 307.560 307.580 307.600 307.603 307.605 307.606 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008