(1) Any person desiring to pay taxes on any part of any real estate assessed as one parcel or tract may do so by applying to the county assessor or deputy county assessor. The county assessor shall determine the relative or proportionate value such part bears to the value of the whole tract assessed, and shall file a statement thereof with the tax collector, on which basis the assessment shall be divided and taxes shall be collected accordingly.
(2) The assessor or tax collector shall not divide an assessment under this section unless the person calling for the division of assessment owns, or holds a mortgage or other lien on that part only of such area on which the person desires to pay the taxes, and has filed with the assessor a true copy of the deed, contract of sale, mortgage or other instrument evidencing the interest in the part; provided that whenever such instrument is otherwise recorded in the county records, such filing shall not be required.
(3) The assessor or tax collector shall not divide an assessment under this section unless all ad valorem taxes, fees and other charges required to be placed upon the tax roll that have been certified for collection under ORS 311.105 and 311.110 and become a lien upon the entire parcel of property have been paid. However, if the applicant for the division is a public body, only the portion of such taxes, fees and other charges apportionable to the part of the real estate owned by the public body, or on which the public body holds a mortgage or other lien, need be paid. As used in this subsection, “public body” means the United States, its agencies and instrumentalities, the state, a county, city, school district, irrigation or drainage district, a port, a water district and all other public or municipal corporations in the state exempt from tax under ORS 307.040 or 307.090.
(4) In the case of a parcel or tract of real estate which is being assessed under one of the special assessment laws listed in ORS 308A.733 (2) or under ORS 358.480 to 358.545, the assessor or tax collector shall not divide the assessment unless the portion of any additional taxes or penalty apportionable to the part of the property disqualified from special assessment is paid.
(5) In the case of property within the jurisdiction of a city or county which has adopted minor land partition regulations pursuant to ORS 92.046, the assessor shall not divide an assessment unless the person calling for the division of assessment has filed with the assessor evidence that the division has been approved as required by such regulations.
(6) Whenever a manufactured structure is assessed as real property under ORS 308.875, and the security interest holder of the manufactured structure is a person different from the owner of the parcel of land upon which it is situated, the security interest holder may apply to the assessor for a division of the value of the entire parcel between the value of the manufactured structure and the value of the remainder of the parcel. Using this value division, the tax collector shall allocate the taxes between the manufactured structure and the remainder of the parcel, and the security interest holder of the manufactured structure may pay the taxes on the value attributable to the manufactured structure and thereby free the manufactured structure from the lien of those taxes. If a division is made and taxes and special assessments are paid on the value attributable to the manufactured structure, the county may reclassify the manufactured structure as personal property, forward the ownership document application information to the Department of Consumer and Business Services and allow the structure to be moved as provided in ORS 446.631 without payment of the taxes and special assessments attributable to the remainder of the parcel.
(7) If protest is filed to the division, the matter shall be heard by the county commissioners or the county court (as defined in ORS 306.005) at its next regular session for transaction of county business, who shall make a final division of the assessment, and the tax collector shall collect and receipt for the taxes as so determined and ordered.
(8) No person shall apply in any year under this section for a division of the assessment of a subdivision made on the assessment roll prepared as of January 1 of the year in which the subdivision is finally approved. [Amended by 1953 c.109 §2; subsection (3) enacted as 1965 c.393 §3; 1967 c.58 §1; 1971 c.529 §16; 1975 c.579 §1; 1977 c.884 §17; 1979 c.689 §19; 1981 c.632 §1; 1983 c.748 §5; 1985 c.16 §457; 1985 c.613 §6; 1991 c.459 §241; 1993 c.6 §5; 1997 c.541 §290; 1999 c.314 §86; 2001 c.540 §22; 2003 c.655 §69]Section: Previous 311.252 311.253 311.255 311.260 311.265 311.270 311.275 311.280 311.285 311.290 311.325 311.330 311.335 311.340 311.345 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008