(1) All payments of deferred taxes shall be made to the Department of Revenue.
(2) Subject to subsection (3) of this section, all or part of the deferred taxes and accrued interest may at any time be paid to the department by:
(a) The taxpayer or the spouse of the taxpayer.
(b) The next of kin of the taxpayer, heir at law of the taxpayer, child of the taxpayer or any person having or claiming a legal or equitable interest in the property.
(3) A person listed in subsection (2)(b) of this section may make payments of deferred taxes under this section only if no objection is made by the taxpayer within 30 days after the department deposits in the mail notice to the taxpayer of the fact that payment of deferred taxes has been tendered.
(4) Any payment made under this section shall be applied first against accrued interest and any remainder against the deferred taxes. Payment of deferred taxes does not affect the deferred tax status of the property. Unless otherwise provided by law, payment of deferred taxes does not give the person paying the taxes any interest in the property or any claim against the estate, in the absence of a valid agreement to the contrary.
(5) When the deferred taxes and accrued interest are paid in full and the property is no longer subject to deferral, the department shall prepare, file and record documents necessary to effect a release or satisfaction of deferred property tax lien. [1963 c.569 §18; 1977 c.160 §12; 2007 c.363 §4]Section: Previous 311.682 311.683 311.684 311.686 311.687 311.688 311.689 311.690 311.691 311.692 311.693 311.694 311.695 311.696 311.700 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008