(1) If a lender, surety or other person who is not an employer with respect to an employee pays wages directly to the employee, or to an agent on behalf of the employee, the lender, surety or other person shall deduct and retain from the wages, and shall be liable to this state for, an amount equal to the amount required to be withheld from the employee’s wages by the employer under ORS 316.167.
(2) A lender, surety or other person described under this section shall file a combined quarterly tax report and make payment of the tax or assessment that is due in the time and manner prescribed for employers under ORS 316.168.
(3) Amounts paid under this section shall be credited against the liability of the employer under ORS 316.167.
(4) A lender, surety or other person described under this section shall be considered to be an employer with respect to withholdings made under this section or required to be made under this section for purposes of ORS 316.191, 316.197, 316.202, 316.207 and 316.212.
(5) The employer of an employee that receives wages from a lender, surety or other person shall not be discharged from any liability or other obligation under ORS 316.162 to 316.221 except as provided for in subsection (3) of this section. [1997 c.133 §6]Section: Previous 316.159 316.160 316.162 316.164 316.165 316.167 316.168 316.169 316.170 316.171 316.172 316.175 316.177 316.180 316.182 Next
Last modified: August 7, 2008